Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Grocery Shopping

When thinking about big purchases you have made, most of them can be justified!  I am talking specifically about groceries mind you.  Let me take one last look to make sure nothing embarrassing is on this list.  Ok good enough.  I’m looking at an image right now.  This Grocery Cost Analysis was created after grocery shopping, and it compares our shopping list with the receipt.  A spreadsheet I created when trying to study for the Certified Public Accounting exam.  As hard as I know the exams are, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to take a break to practice accounting.  Well, sort of!


Notice how we were taken to the cleaners on the Sauce compared to our senior accounting analyst (Mine) and our executive education provider’s (Jamie’s) best estimates.  We made up for it big time with the bag of veggies.  I see some red (bad) and some green (good), but the majority of the board looks yellow.  There were a few things we did not anticipate purchasing however (notice the bottom of the image). 
I have made an observation myself.  We only paid sales tax on three planned purchases.  We paid tax on four of the five unplanned purchases.   Looks like the government does a pretty good job letting you eat (and eat well mind you!) for free, but will make you pay tax on the things we generally don’t need.  I agree with the Federal Tax Collector on most of these taxed items, but there are a few I would argue.  The Sliced White 16W is actually sixteen sliced white mushrooms by the way.  Makes sense; I thought I’d let everyone else wonder, as I originally had, while they read.
As an afterthought of this post; I believe I will write out a Christmas List, it might help me avoid those unplanned purchases we couldn’t resist at the grocery.  Anyways, I hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving.  I am very lucky to have seen my family amd enjoyed a great meal with them.  I hope everyone else is as fortunate! 

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment